If your wireless connection is not working, you can perform these troubleshooting steps prior to contacting TDS Technical Support.
- Check the lights on your modem. The Wi-Fi light should be illuminated if it is working.
- Check that your wireless network card is enabled and working.
Note: Laptop computers often have a switch that can turn wireless on or off.
- Make sure you are connecting to the correct network or are entering the correct security password when trying to connect to your wireless network.
Your modem (router) comes with a default Wi-Fi network name and password. If you haven’t changed the network name or password then this information can be found on the side of your modem:
- Network Name (SSID) will be the network name found on your computer list of available Wi-Fi networks.
- Key/passphrase is the default password for the Network Name (SSID). Enter this password after selecting your Network Name (SSID).
- Move your device closer to your Wi-Fi Router or reposition your router to a more central location in your home. A router has limited range and items in your home can block Wi-Fi signals. Ideally, your modem is placed on the first floor of your home, off the ground, and in a room where you frequently use the Internet.
- Disable other devices using the Internet. Your connection is like a pie and more devices using the connection shrinks each piece of the pie.
- Shutdown and restart your computer.
- Plug your device directly into your modem or router. Your devices will have the best performance with a wired connection.
Why? Because when the Internet is physically attached to your device, there’s nothing coming between it and your Internet signal. A wired connection is always better and should be used wherever it makes sense to do so. Try to match each device with its best connection.
- If you’ve verified you have an Internet connection through a wired connection and still can’t access the Internet wirelessly, please reboot your modem.
If these steps do not fix your problem or if you do not feel comfortable with performing them, please contact Technical Support at 1-888-CALLTDS. Technical Support is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.