UPDATE: TDS® completes broadband Internet project on Bois Blanc Island, Mich.
TDS® announces completion of this ARRA broadband stimulus project means high-speed Internet service is now available to businesses and nearly 300 area households.
TDS Telecom (TDS®) announces its broadband Internet project in Bois Blanc Island, Mich. is now complete. The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) stimulus-funded project makes high-speed Internet accessible to more businesses and nearly 300 area residents.
Earlier this month, TDS announced a portion of this project was complete. Now, the entire project is finished. TDS installed more than 20 miles of fiber optics cabling and several cabinets (which protect the advanced network electronics) throughout its Island Telephone Company. Customers interested in signing up for service can call 888-CALL-TDS (888-225-5837).
This is one of 44 projects TDS is receiving funding for from the United States Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) Rural Utilities Service (RUS) as part of the ARRA. TDS projected the cost at nearly $2.7 million. The RUS grant covered 75 percent of the cost and TDS invested the remaining 25 percent (about $670,000) to expand broadband to more businesses and residents.
Nationwide, more than 95 percent of TDS customers already have access to high-speed Internet service. TDS is intent on providing as many remaining customers with broadband connectivity as possible. According to TDS, federal stimulus funds are helping to close the gap and deliver Internet connectivity. With the help of ARRA funding, TDS has already expanded access to a high-speed Internet connection to about 32,000 households in 20 states.
For background information and updates, visit www.tdstelecom.com/stimulus.
# # #