Zolo wins an Emmy
The Emmy® statuette is now proudly on display on the mantel at the Zolo office in Bend, Ore.
The Zolo creative services team of Joe Dean and Joe Cima were co-winners of an Emmy in the National Academy of the Arts Northwest Region. The Zolo team won in the News Promotion Campaign category. The winning campaign included a series of 30-second commercials, which promote the new Central Oregon Daily show. The content of the commercials focused on asking local residents to share their story.
Dean and Cima were co-winners of the Emmy with KOMO News in Seattle. Dean is the senior creative services producer at Zolo, and Cima is the co-writer and videographer for the promotional pieces.
The project came about when Zolo Central Oregon Daily Content Manager Curtis Vogel came up with the idea to inspire Central Oregonians to share stories. He asked Dean to create a campaign using the phase “What’s Your Story?” It became the spark that set the project in motion.
The kick-off commercial notes that “everyone has a story to tell.” The spot reminds viewers that “A good story has more than just a beginning and an end. It has conflict and struggle, happiness and pain, and a good story takes you somewhere you have never been.” The first spot was a 30-second “teaser” ad that was broadcast during the 2016 Super Bowl.
From there, Dean and Cima produced additional commercials, including a spot about Marge Kalama and her life on the reservation. In the spot, Kalama shared the impacts of her life as a member of the Confederated Tribes of Warm Springs. The duo also produced a story about hardworking, dairy plant operator Bob Eberhard of Eberhard’s Dairy.
“It was an honor to even be nominated for an Emmy,” said Dean. “To win is something that is more than we ever imagined.”
Emmy nominees for the News Promotion Campaign category included:
- What’s Your Story; Central Oregon Daily • KOHD/KBNZ • Joe Dean, Writer/Director/Producer • Joe Cima, co-writer/videographer (CO-WINNER)
- So Northwest • KOMO • Deborah Ellis, promotion producer/writer • Ryan Severn, promotion writer/producer (CO-WINNER)
- Best in the Business • KIVI • Eric Holbrook, creative services director • Steve Tubbs, marketing manager • Lee Vander Boegh, creative services producer
- Call Kyle • KGW • Randy Cobb, writer/producer/director/editor • Skyler Stever, producer
- Alaska Fast Facts • KTUU • Brad Hillwig, producer • Felix Rodriguez, editor • Colin Lamar, graphics
The Emmy Award is an American award that recognizes excellence in the television industry. There are 20 regional chapters located across the United States. Each chapter has regional awards to recognize excellence in all the regional television markets, including state-to-state programming as well as local news and locally produced shows.