TDS announces completion of two more Wisconsin-based ARRA broadband stimulus projects


TDS Telecom (TDS®) announces completion of two more American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) stimulus-funded broadband Internet projects in Wisconsin. TDS is receiving funding for 44 projects, including these two, from the United States Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) Rural Utilities Service (RUS) as part of the ARRA.

More than 350 residents between Prairie du Chien and Lancaster in the southwest part of Wisconsin, now have access to high-speed Internet service. In mid-January, TDS announced a portion of this project was accessible to customers. Now, it’s finished. In total, nearly 20 miles of fiber optics cabling was installed and nine cabinets (which protect the advanced network electronics) were placed in order to connect more residents and businesses to high-speed Internet service in TDS’ Grantland Telecom exchange. TDS projected the cost at about $2.2 million. The RUS grant covered 75 percent of the cost and TDS invested the remaining 25 percent (more than $550,000) to expand broadband to more businesses and residents.

In the Fox Valley, TDS’ stimulus-funded project around Stockbridge and Tisch Mills is also complete. For this project, in TDS’ Stockbridge & Sherwood Telephone Company, about 12 miles of fiber optics cabling and 10 cabinets were installed. In late January, TDS announced a portion of this project was available to customers. Now that it’s complete, more than 600 residents have gained access to high-speed Internet service in this area. TDS projected the cost at about $2.5 million. The RUS grant covered 75 percent of the cost and TDS invested the remaining 25 percent (more than $600,000) to expand broadband to more businesses and residents.

Nationwide, more than 95 percent of TDS customers already have access to high-speed Internet service. TDS is intent on providing as many remaining customers with broadband connectivity as possible. According to TDS, federal stimulus funds are helping to close the gap and deliver Internet connectivity to more than 27,000 customers.

For background information or to sign-up for services, call 888-225-5837 or visit www.tdstelecom.com/stimulus

# # #

 


For more information, or a high-resolution map, contact: Cindy Tomlinson, Associate Manager-Public Relations / TDS Telecom / 608-664-4471 / cindy.tomlinson@tdstelecom.com

TDS Telecommunications LLC (TDS Telecom/TDS®) delivers high-speed internet, TV entertainment, and phone services to nearly 900 rural, suburban, and metropolitan communities across the U.S. With more than 1.2 million connections, TDS is one of the fastest growing technology companies in the United States. Powered by fiber-optics and new industry-leading technologies, TDS delivers up to 1 Gigabit internet speeds and offers internet-protocol based TV entertainment solutions along with traditional phone services. TDS also offers businesses VoIP advanced communications solutions, dedicated internet service, data networking, and hosted-managed services. Visit tdstelecom.com.

TDS Telecom, headquartered in Madison, Wis., employs nearly 2,700 people and is a subsidiary of Telephone and Data Systems, Inc. [NYSE: TDS], a Fortune 1000® company. Founded in 1969, TDS Inc. employs 9,400 people and has approximately six million connections nationwide through its businesses U.S. Cellular, TDS Telecom, OneNeck IT Solutions LLC, and TDS Broadband Service. TDS Inc. has been named to several Forbes lists, including America's Best Employers for Diversity, Best Large Employers, and Best Employers for Women. Visit tdsinc.com.

Updated February 2019

Search Bar

Not finding what you're looking for?

Visit our support site for FAQs, how-tos, and other useful resources.