TDS® announces completion of three ARRA broadband stimulus projects

Completed projects in Okla., Wash., and Wis. deliver high-speed Internet service to a combined 1,350 households.

TDS Telecom (TDS®) announces completion of three more American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) stimulus-funded broadband Internet projects. The completion means a combined 1,350 households in parts of Oklahoma, Washington, and Wisconsin gain access to high-speed Internet service.

TDS is receiving funding for 44 projects, including these three, from the United States Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) Rural Utilities Service (RUS) as part of the ARRA.

In Oklahoma, nearly 400 residents in parts of Pontotoc, Coal and Johnston counties, which is part of TDS’ Mid-America Telephone Company, now have access to high-speed Internet service. In early May, TDS announced a portion of this project, around Harden City, was accessible to customers. Now, it’s complete and TDS installed eight cabinets (which protect the advanced network electronics) to connect more residents and businesses to high-speed Internet service. TDS projected the cost at more than $1.5 million. The RUS grant covered 75 percent of the cost and TDS invested the remaining 25 percent (nearly $400,000) to expand broadband to more area businesses and residents.

TDS’ stimulus-funded project in Washington included the installation of about 10 miles of fiber optics cabling and six cabinets. In late January, TDS announced a portion of this project was complete. Today, it’s complete and more than 400 residents around Onalaska and Salkum, which is part of TDS’ McDaniel Telephone Company have gained access to high-speed Internet service in this area. TDS projected the cost at nearly $1.6 million. TDS invested 25 percent (nearly $400,000) and the RUS grant covered 75 percent.

TDS’ stimulus-funded project in Wisconsin included the installation of about 12 miles of fiber optics cabling and nine cabinets. In mid-March, TDS announced a portion of this project was available to customers. Today, it’s complete and nearly 550 residents around Valders, and between Cleveland and Howards Grove, which is part of TDS’ EastCoast Telecom have gained access to high-speed Internet service in this area. TDS projected the cost at about $2.2 million. The RUS grant covered 75 percent of the cost and TDS invested nearly $550,000.

Nationwide, more than 95 percent of TDS customers already have access to high-speed Internet service. TDS is intent on providing as many remaining customers with broadband connectivity as possible. According to TDS, federal stimulus funds are helping to close the gap and deliver Internet connectivity. With the help of ARRA funding, TDS has already expanded high-speed Internet service access to more than 30,000 households across the country.

For background information or to sign-up for services, call 888-225-5837 or visit www.tdstelecom.com/stimulus

# # #

 


For more information, or a high-resolution map, contact: Cindy Tomlinson, Associate Manager-Public Relations / TDS Telecom / 608-664-4471 / cindy.tomlinson@tdstelecom.com

TDS Telecommunications LLC (TDS Telecom/TDS®) delivers high-speed internet, TV entertainment, and phone services to nearly 900 rural, suburban, and metropolitan communities across the U.S. With more than 1.2 million connections, TDS is one of the fastest growing technology companies in the United States. Powered by fiber-optics and new industry-leading technologies, TDS delivers up to 1 Gigabit internet speeds and offers internet-protocol based TV entertainment solutions along with traditional phone services. TDS also offers businesses VoIP advanced communications solutions, dedicated internet service, data networking, and hosted-managed services. Visit tdstelecom.com.

TDS Telecom, headquartered in Madison, Wis., employs nearly 2,700 people and is a subsidiary of Telephone and Data Systems, Inc. [NYSE: TDS], a Fortune 1000® company. Founded in 1969, TDS Inc. employs 9,400 people and has approximately six million connections nationwide through its businesses U.S. Cellular, TDS Telecom, OneNeck IT Solutions LLC, and TDS Broadband Service. TDS Inc. has been named to several Forbes lists, including America's Best Employers for Diversity, Best Large Employers, and Best Employers for Women. Visit tdsinc.com.

Updated February 2019

Search Bar

Not finding what you're looking for?

Visit our support site for FAQs, how-tos, and other useful resources.