UPDATE: TDS® completes broadband Internet project in Okla., around Cyril, Elgin, Fletcher, Inola, Kellyville
TDS® announces completion of this ARRA broadband stimulus project means high-speed Internet service is now available to businesses and more than 1,350 area households.
TDS Telecom (TDS®) announces its broadband Internet project in Oklahoma — around Cyril, Elgin, Fletcher, Inola, and Kellyville — is now complete. The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) stimulus-funded project makes high-speed Internet accessible to more businesses and about 1,350 area residents (450 more households than projected in TDS’ application for funding).
In mid-May, TDS announced a portion of this project, around Kellyville, was complete. Now, the entire project is finished. TDS installed more than 30 miles of fiber optics cabling and 25 cabinets (which protect the advanced network electronics) throughout its Oklahoma Communication Systems, Inc. company. Customers interested in signing up for service can call 888-CALL-TDS (888-225-5837).
This is one of 44 projects TDS is receiving funding for from the United States Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) Rural Utilities Service (RUS) as part of the ARRA. TDS projected the cost at more than $4.76 million. The RUS grant covered 75 percent of the cost and TDS invested the remaining 25 percent (nearly $2 million) to expand broadband to more businesses and residents.
Nationwide, more than 95 percent of TDS customers already have access to high-speed Internet service. TDS is intent on providing as many remaining customers with broadband connectivity as possible. According to TDS, federal stimulus funds are helping to close the gap and deliver Internet connectivity. With the help of ARRA funding, TDS has already expanded access to a high-speed Internet connection to more than 31,500 households across the country.
For background information and updates, visit www.tdstelecom.com/stimulus.
# # #