New 983 Area Code is Coming to the 303/720 Region in the Greater Denver Area
With a high demand for new telephone numbers in the greater Denver area, the Colorado Public Utilities Commission approved the implementation of the new 983 area code to overlay the existing 303/720 region. This area serves TDS customers in both Arvada and Strasburg, Colorado.
Starting on June 17, 2022, customers in the 303/720 area code overlay region who request a new service or additional line, may be assigned a phone number in the new 983 area code. The 983 area code will co-exist everywhere in this region with the 303 and 720 area codes. Customers receiving a 983 area code will be required to dial the area code and phone number for all local calls, just as customers with numbers from the 303 and 720 area codes do today.
Telephone customers should know the following key facts about the 983 area code overlay:
● Telephone numbers, including current area code, will not change.
● The price of a call, coverage area, or other rates and services will not change due to the overlay.
● Local calls will remain local calls.
● Customers in the overlay region will continue to dial 10 digits for local calls within and between the overlay area codes, and 1+10 digits for long distance calls.
● Customers can still dial just three digits to reach 911, as well as 211, 311, 411, 511, 611, 711 or 811 if those are currently available in their community.
Customers should continue to identify their telephone number as a 10-digit number (3-digit area code + 7-digit telephone number), and include the area code when giving the number to friends, family, business associates and customers, etc.
Customers should ensure that all services, automatic dialing equipment, or other types of equipment recognize the new 983 area code as a valid area code and should continue to store or program telephone numbers as 10-digit numbers. Some examples include but are not limited to include: stored telephone numbers in contact lists in wireless or cordless phones, PBXs, fax machines, Internet dial-up numbers, speed dialers, call forwarding settings, voicemail services, medical alert devices, safety alarm security systems and gates, ankle monitors, and or other similar equipment. Customers should also ensure their websites, personal and business stationery and printed checks, advertising materials, contact information, and personal or pet ID tags include the area code.
# # #