TDS to provide post-disaster consumer protection measures for customers in California
Natural disasters can happen at any time and at any place in California. It’s important to be prepared.
First, discover natural disaster hazards in your area.
Then, create a disaster preparedness plan so you’re ready if something happens.
During a disaster situation, keep track of situational developments by listening to the news, authorities, and visiting websites like https://fire.ca.gov/incidents.
As a provider of wireline communications services, TDS will abide by these post-disaster consumer protection measures:
In the event the Governor of California or the President of the United States declares a state of emergency in your area that results in the loss or disruption of landline telephone service or in the degradation of the quality of landline telephone service, landline telephone providers shall provide the following protections to their residential and small business (five lines or less) customers for a duration of at least 12 months from the date of the state of emergency declaration or as appropriately determined by the California Office of Emergency Services:
1. Waiver of one-time activation fee for establishing remote call forwarding, remote access to call forwarding, call forwarding features, and messaging services;
2. Waiver of the monthly rate for one month for remote call forwarding, remote access to call forwarding, call forwarding, call forwarding features, and messaging services;
3. Waiver of the service charge for installation of service at the temporary or new permanent location of the customer and again when the customer moves back to the original premises;
4. Waiver of the fee for one jack and associated wiring at the temporary location regardless of whether the customer has an Inside Wire Plan;
5. Waiver of the fee for up to five free jacks and associated wiring for Inside Wiring Plan customer upon their return to their permanent location; and
6. Waiver of the fee for one jack and associated wiring for non-Plan customers upon their return to their permanent location.
For more information, please contact TDS at 1-888-CALL-TDS.